June 7-9: Special Olympics
June 8, then tuesdays, thursdays, and saturdays: Women Raise the Roof block laying
June 13-16: Parkersburg Multi-Cultural Festival
June 15: River Sweep
August 16-18: Parkersburg Homecoming
Special Olympics in Morgantown, WV. http://www.wvu.edu/specialolympics/index.htm
June 7 1:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m, June 8 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m, June 9 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m Approximately 1,500 volunteers are needed for this three-day event. Whatever amount of volunteer time available is greatly appreciated.
Volunteers are needed for:
- Athlete Buddy: Athlete buddies accompany athletes and cheer them on through the day's activities. All buddies are asked to be cheerful and encouraging. It would be appreciated if volunteers could commit to a half if unable to commit to a full day. But any time available would be appreciated.
- Olympic Village: Assist in operating the various venues in the Olympic Village, including games, arts and crafts, karaoke, and cheering.
- Sports Venue: Assist the Games Management Team in ensuring that the events run smoothly and on time. Food Service (dinner/breakfast):
- Food Service volunteers assist the Food Service staff help customers through the food line, as well as assist in clean up.
- Opening Ceremonies and Closing Ceremonies: Volunteers cheer for the athletes as they arrive at or leave the games and participate in event preparation, distribute favors, lead cheers for the crowd, provide escort service, cheer athletes and show support, and assist in clean up activities.
Women Raise the Roof Start laying block Saturday, June 8, 9 AM till ~3 PM. feel welcome to come work all, or part, of the day. Weather permitting, work will continue on Tuesday & Thursday evenings 5-8 PM and Saturday's 9 AM - 3PM. they may work some Fridays. contact Becky Dines, 863-4347, 489-9118.
This event helps to show off some of what makes parkersburg unique! Even if you can't volunteer, be sure to check it out!!! Volunteers are needed to serve food, set up, sell merchandise, and tear down. Contact Sandy Tharp at 424-3457 to volunteer. Setup: 2 volunteers/shift June 13 and 14. Shifts are 8-noon, noon - 4, and 4-7 Food: Friday 4-7, 7-9, 9-11. Saturday 10-12, 12-2, 2-4, 4-6, 8-11. Sunday 11-1, 1-3, 3-5, 5-7, 7-9. Merchandise: Contact Sandy Tear down: Sunday 8-11. Monday 8-noon.
If you haven't seen Blennerhasset island yet, this is an opportunity to get up close and personal! At 8:15 AM on June 15 a boat will transport volunteers from Civitan Park in Belpre, OH to Blennerhasset Island. Volunteers will work till 10:30 at cleaning up garbage from the river banks, then will be transported back. A thank you picnic follows at 11 am at Point Park. Each volunteer gets a tshirt!!! contact Dawn Jackson (Dawn.D.Jackson@USA.dupont.com) for more info!
do NOT make plans for this weekend! August 16-18!!! we're obligated to staff a parking lot for a fund raiser with the boy scouts and need all the manpower we can get!!!
It's still not final, but it looks as if your relay total will be in the $1100 range!!!
We're trying to drum up new projects! The goal is to have 2 new projects for July!!! Let me know if you have any luck!!!
Marika - contact Camden Clark for volunteer work in the childrens' ward (reading, arts & crafts, anything!)
Emily - same, but for St Joe's
Julie - contact 4-H camp to find out if they need any help
Steve - contact boy scouts to get project ideas that we can partner on before Homecoming.
Chris - contact wood co. seniour association for game night help, etc.
Chris - contact Adventure Pursuits for project ideas
Our next meeting will be at 7 pm, June 20, meeting at our City Park Garden for work both there and at Jefferson Elementary.